The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and Design Center Pittsburgh are sponsoring their 10th annual renovation contest for homeowners and business owners living in Allegheny, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Greene, Washington and Westmoreland counties.
There are three categories of competition:
- Small residential - renovation of exterior or one or more rooms or areas costing $50,000 or less
- Large residential - renovation of exterior or one or more rooms or areas costing more than $50,000
- Commercial - renovation of a residential or commercial building for commercial use. No limit on cost of project.
Past winner: Dave and Nancy Eshelman's kitchen on the South Side
Entrants can make use of professionals in design or maintenance. Professionals may enter this contest on their clients' behalf with their clients' consent. A grand prize and one or two honorable mentions will be awarded in each category.
Full contest rules are available here.
How to enter by mail
On the entry form in the spaces provided, fill in your name, address, city, state, ZIP code and daytime phone number. Send us five to 10 photographs (4 by 6 only) of your renovation. Include your name and address on the back of each photo. Sorry, we cannot return the photos. In 250 words or less, describe the motivation behind your renovation and how it was achieved. Buildings must be at least 50 years old and renovations must have been completed within the past five years. Discuss how the renovation meets three criteria
- Appropriateness - Construction, scale and materials should fit the building and neighborhood.
- Functionality - the space should be usable, not a museum. Extra credit for using environmentally friendly materials and techniques.
- Imagination - creativity in solving typical old-house problems.
Where To Send Your Contest Entry:
Complete and mail the paper entry form, photos and the 250-words-or-less description mentioned above in an envelope, with a first-class postage stamp affixed, to Renovation Inspiration Contest, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Kevin Kirkland, 358 North Shore Drive, Suite 300, Pittsburgh, PA 15212. Entries must be received by Jan. 23, 2016. One entry per household per year.
How to enter online
Submit the entry information through our online form at http://biz.post-gazette.com/renovationcontest/entryform.aspx. The form will allow you to upload up to 10 photos of your renovation. Include caption information at the end of the essay. It will not count against the 250-word limit. Entries must be submitted no later than midnight, Jan. 23. Judges will visit the semi-finalist projects, and notify the top winners by Feb. 27.